How Propane Helps Power Off-Grid Style Living
Propane Provides a Clean, Versatile Solution for More Rural Areas
Maybe you’re planning your dream home—or vacation hideaway—well off the beaten path. Or perhaps you’re currently in a location that experiences extended outages due to rough winter weather. Whatever your motivation, off-grid doesn’t have to mean “roughing it.” These days, an off-grid lifestyle can include every convenience of modern living, thanks to the versatility and efficiency of propane.
Surprised? Propane is clean-burning and abundant, making it a cost-effective home energy solution that can help lower energy bills whether you’re living on- or off-grid.
Building in a remote location can be desirable for all kinds of reasons but hooking up to electric and natural gas can cost thousands of dollars when you’re far from the main lines. Propane can be safely stored on your property, in a tank. When combined with other alternative and renewable energy sources like solar and wind, propane can transform off-grid living from extreme to extremely comfortable!
The Benefits of Using Propane Gas
- Propane is More Efficient: Propane generates more BTUs than an equivalent amount of electricity, so you need much less propane to produce the same amount of heat or energy. Also, propane appliances are very efficient as well, so they waste very little fuel in the combustion process.
- Propane is Versatile: In addition to heating, propane is extremely efficient for powering a wide variety of appliances. When it comes to cooking, most chefs prefer the control that comes with a gas range. And propane water heaters generate much more hot water at a cheaper cost per gallon. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, homes that heat water with propane rather than electricity can see average annual savings of $174.
The same technology that makes propane ideal for water heaters makes it a smarter choice than electricity to power all kinds of appliances that use hot water or heat:
- Clothes washers and dryers
- Outdoor lighting
- Patio heaters
- Pool and spa-tub heaters
- Outdoor grills
- Propane is Both Safe and Reliable: For off-grid living, a propane-powered whole house generator provides the reliability and security other people get from the grid. A generator will kick on seamlessly when your solar or wind power is depleted. There’s no glitchy flickering, no brownouts.
- Propane Is Clean and Green: When it comes to environmental impact, propane gas is a good choice as well. It burns cleanly and produces minimal emissions. Propane also doesn’t harm soil or groundwater—an important factor in determining whether a fuel is “green.” Propane is also an American-made energy source. About 90% of the United States’ supply of propane is domestically generated. Most of it comes from the processing of natural gas.
If you’re looking into converting to propane power at your New Hampshire home or you’re interested in using propane for an off-grid property, the pros at Pemi River Fuels can answer all your questions. Contact us today for more information and to get started on finding the perfect solution for your residence.